Monday, January 9, 2012

The year of living dangerously!

Not sure why I chose that title other than to get your attention! :) 2012~apparently the Mayan calendar predicts the world will end on Dec. 21st of this year. I don't agree.  However, let's say that it is going to end...that's like 11 months away.  What are some things you want to accomplish this year? I promised myself I would read "Jesus the Christ." I know. I should probably have read it by now but there's so many big words! :) So far so good. I'm just going to read it this time and try to absorb as much as possible. Yes, this will be a bit dangerous for me! HAHA!

What does reading have to do with health? Well, word has it that you begin to lose brain cells and your memory the older you get. Reading something that's challenging for you will supposedly help to retain those cells for just a little longer. I'll let you know if it works! What's the point of getting in shape and fixing my cholesterol if I lose my brain cells? Just sayin'

Today I made a wonderful bean dip salsa thingy from my daughter's recipe. Below are the ingredients:
1 can black beans
1 can whole corn
1 can kidney beans (I also added a can of red beans)
2 c. cooked brown rice (couldn't find the basmati rice)
1/3 c. minced cilantro
5 diced green onions
half red and yellow pepper chopped

Dressing:
1/2 c. olive oil
1/3 c. red wine vinegar
2 garlic cloves minced
1 tsp salt
dash of pepper
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp chili powder
1/4 c. lemon juice (forgot to buy lime)

Drain canned goods. Add all bean mixture together. Mix dressing then add to bean mix. Toss. Chill. Enjoy. We eat it with Tostito black bean and salsa Artisan chips. Yummy AND healthy!! Keep refrigerated.

Enjoy your day. I'm off to exercise. I have SO much more energy! My family is starting to pick up on my diet and are loving the food as well and even exercising with me!! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment