Thursday, January 12, 2012

Is there such a thing as 'good fat'? Why, yes! Yes there is!

...and they are called MUFA's...monounsaturated fats.  Saturated fats are those found in cakes, cookies, crackers, maragarine, you get the idea! Those are the little buggers that plug up your arteries. Plug up your arteries and you have a heart attack! Mono and Polyunsaturated fats do the opposite. They can actually reverse those plugged up arteries! Wanna know what else they are good for?...

1. Improves cholesterol levels
2. Eases inflamation
3. Stabilizes heart rhythms
4. Helps manage your moods
5. Helps you stay on top of your mental game
6. Fights fatigue
7. Control your weight

Pretty great list, right!?  Remember I told you that EVERYTHING on my menu and in my supplements are specifically to help lower my LDL or raise my HDL? Well, I added the 'good fat' to help do both! You can find these MUFA's in many foods.  In my menu they are in:

1. Oatmeal
2. Flaxseed
3. Olive oil
4. Walnuts
5. Oil in dressing
6. Dark chocolate
7. Larabar
8. Almonds
9. Fish

Yes, there are saturated fats in those items as well. It's OK to have SOME, just make sure your good fat intake is higher than the bad. 20-35% of your calories should come from fat.  Women should NOT have more than 20g of sat. fat daily and men no more than 30g.

Guess what, women? Eating more MUFA's and fish will help your skin look better!! You can even put olive oil on your face at night time as a moisturizer. It will not clog your pores! If you're trying anything I've posted whether it's food, supplements, exercise, let me know how it's going for you! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment