Thursday, January 5, 2012

Exercise~it does a body good! :)

Duh...I know! ;) Just told a friend about muscle. I'll share. Although there is controversy about how many extra calories a day you burn with every extra pound of muscle, the fact is...adding muscle to replace fat on your body WILL burn calories throughout the day WITHOUT YOU DOING ANYTHING EXTRA!! It's true!!

Let's say you weigh 110 lbs. You gain 5 lbs of muscle. One source says (I like THIS source) you can burn an extra 35-50 calories a day for EVERY pound of muscle you gain. Let's do the math. 5X35 (we'll take the smaller amount) you will burn an EXTRA 175 calories a day by doing nothing extra!! Who can't love that!!!

Also, which do you think takes up less space on your body....a pound of muscle or a pound of fat? Let's get ONE thing straight right up front...a POUND of muscle and a POUND of fat WEIGH the same...they are both a pound!! Ever heard someone say, talking about the benefits of weight lifting, a pound of muscle weighs more than a pound of fat? (Heck, I think I said that once upon a time) Well, the premise is correct...but, we're talking about the SPACE each takes up on your body. Muscle is more DENSE than fat. It takes less of it to make a pound. Therefore, if you lose 10 lbs. of fat and replace it with 10 lbs of muscle you will WEIGH the same, but your body will be smaller.

I can testify to this. Since losing 55 lbs years ago I have stayed the same weight within a few pounds. I'll teach you about what I do later. However, (and especially since turning 50) my body is changing. I'm losing muscle and getting flabby. I weigh the same but my clothes fit differently. I have 'flab' in places I've never had before! Have the 'muffin top' above your pants in the back? I never use to, but, I DO now! I will admit, I have exercised less these past few years. I've had several health problems including herniated and torn disc's in my lower back, melanoma in my upper arm, gall bladder, a female problem (won't mention it here), and those are only the things that have limited my exercise ability. Thank you parents and genetics! ;) So, my quest this year is to get fit again. I DO NOT want to turn 70 and not be able to move. I will fight it all the way!

So, get busy and add weights to your routine even if it's only 2 days a week. Make sure your work upper AND lower body. Start out slowly. Work on your core. Do crunches and a plank EVERY night. Your abdomen muscles can be worked out EVERY day, unlike other muscle groups. Also, it helps us women retain bone mass which is HUGE so we don't get osteoperosis. 

Stay active, friends! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment